Honeywell (NYSE: HON) will demonstrate its connected first responder technology and introduce enhancements to turnout gear, hoods, SCBA and other protective equipment at the Fire Department Instructors Conference (FDIC) International April 25-28 at the Indiana Convention Center in Indianapolis.
The demonstrations by Honeywell First Responder Products at Booth #1610 will show how new connected technologies and smart gear can provide incident commanders with real-time data about a firefighter’s condition, SCBA air levels, personal protective equipment status and more, so that commanders can quickly respond to a life-threatening emergency.
In addition, Honeywell (with co-sponsor DuPont) will host 25 firefighters at FDIC as part of a unique annual scholarship program and grassroots training initiative, now in its fourth year. Five graduates of the program will serve as instructors at this year’s event.
“Our technological innovations, along with our continuing support of a grassroots scholarship program that has advanced the skills and leadership of hundreds of firefighters, reflect Honeywell’s ongoing commitment to offer the safest, most effective, advanced solutions that protect the health and safety of those who valiantly serve our communities on today’s fireground,” said Christie Newsome, director of marketing, Honeywell First Responder.
Among Honeywell offerings on display:
- Heat Release Liner is a new thermal liner technology developed and patented (pending) by Honeywell to help protect firefighters from dangerous heat stress. The liner is composed of air vents and ports that quickly and effectively dispel trapped heat that builds up in the firefighter’s suit. The Heat Release Liner will be available as an option on Morning Pride TAILS turnout gear.
- A high-performance Norfab quilted thermal liner with DuPont Nomex® nano material will add increased durability and strength to turnout gear with full-body particulate protection. Developed in partnership with DuPont, the Norfab thermal liner will be offered in premium Honeywell turnout gear.
- A new, technologically advanced particulate barrier (STEDAIR® Prevent by Stedfast) has been incorporated in the popular, one-size-fits-most MaskMate Hood. This innovation offers increased particulate protection for a firefighter’s vulnerable head and neck area.
- Honeywell SafetySuite First Responder is a new, connected software offering that delivers real-time data from firefighters to incident commanders on firefighter safety status, including air consumption levels in SCBA, distress alarms, and more. It also can generate reports that will help fire departments better manage their inventory and lower their operational and maintenance costs.
- TITAN SCBA now offers quick-connect options for cylinder change-outs, giving fire departments the choice of traditional threaded connections or a double action quick connect for even faster cylinder change.
Fire Engineering's Derek Rosenfeld stopped by the Honeywell booth at the Indianapolis Convention Center and met with Honeywell Southeast Regional Manager Jeff Reed to talk about the latest innovations from Honeywell.
Here, Reed explains how Honeywell's new Heat Release Liner provides firefighters increased protection by blocking particulates during firefighting operations:
Advanced HAZmat monitoring technology will showcase the AreaRAE Pro wireless, multi-threat monitor from Honeywell RAE Systems. Equipped with more than 20 sensors to improve situational awareness and response to gas threats, chemical spills and other hazardous materials applications, this multi-threat detection package provides real-time visibility into toxic, combustible and exotic gases, radiation, gas plume pathway, temperature, humidity and more captured on a computer screen using ProRAE Guardian software.
Honeywell First Responder is an industry leader in firefighter turnout gear, with more than 75 percent of the 20 largest metropolitan fire departments in north America using its First Responder products from Honeywell. Honeywell First Responder is part of Honeywell Industrial Safety, which provides comprehensive solutions to help organizations manage workplace safety, including personal protection gear for a worker’s eyes, ears and heads, respiratory protection, software and toxic gas monitors.
Honeywell Safety and Productivity Solutions (SPS) provides products, software and connected solutions that improve productivity, workplace safety and asset performance for our customers across the globe. We deliver on this promise through industry-leading mobile devices, software, cloud technology and automation solutions, the broadest range of personal protective equipment and gas detection technology, and custom-engineered sensors, switches and controls. We also manufacture and sell a broad portfolio of footwear for work, play and outdoor activities, including XtraTufTM and Muck BootTM brand footwear.
Honeywell (www.honeywell.com) is a Fortune 100 diversified technology and manufacturing leader, serving customers worldwide with aerospace products and services; control technologies for buildings, homes, and industry; turbochargers; and performance materials. For more news and information on Honeywell, please visit www.honeywellnow.com.